Saturday, December 2, 2006

A poem by me

They thought me weak when I was a child
Because I was polite and I always smiled
Because I wouldn’t fight as I became viled
I made my responses in lyrical style

The story of child, an intellectual being
Who spent his time looking, and thus began seeing

A bitter struggle and an ancient mystery
To know myself and my hidden history

To INNERstand the mystery’s of life
Why I was born in this trouble and strife

A spirit deprived of knowledge of self
Devouring this child’s mental state of health

In a world where loyalty can be bought for a price
Where false friends sell you out, without thinking twice

Inside the questions multiply and increase
Taking me further from my inner peace

External things won’t always last
So embrace your history, look to your past

In order to achieve this spiritual wealth
You must take a look inside of your SELF

A poem by Michael Dennis

copyright 2006

1 comment:

A.H. said...

A thoughtful poem. (Not sure that "viled" is a verb, but it ought to be...we have "reviled" in English, which is odd. Re-viled means to re/do it again, which assumes you viled someone in the first place, so, does "to vile" exist). INNER standing is an interesting choice of word, lining up with OVER standing and against underSTANDING. The poem would make a neat teaching starter